Welcome to Rituel's Network...

Will & (be) going to...



Compare:
Ø  'Gary phoned while you were out.'    ‘OK. I'll call him back.'
'Gary phoned while you were out.’    'Yes, I know. I'm going to call him back.'

Ø  'Anna is in hospital.'    'Oh really? I didn't know. I'll go and visit her.'
‘Anna is in hospital.'    ‘Yes, I know. I'm going to visit her this evening.'


Future happenings and situations (predicting the future)
We use both will and going to to predict future happenings and situations. So you can say:

Ø  I think the weather will be nice later, or
I think the weather is going to be nice later.
Ø  Those shoes are well-made. They'll last a long time, or
Those shoes are well-made. They're going to last a long time.

When we say something is going to happen, we know this from the situation now. What is happening
now shows that something is going to happen in the future. For example:
Ø  Look at those black clouds. It's going to rain, (not It will rain)
(We can see that it is going to rain from the clouds that are in the sky now.)
Ø  I feel terrible. I think I'm going to be sick, (not I think I'll be sick)
(I think I'm going to be sick because I feel terrible now.)

Comments
0 Comments


Thanks For Chatting